Spring is a crucial time for tree care as it sets the tone for the growth and health of your trees throughout the year.
Here are some tips for spring tree care:
Tree inspection: Checking for tree damages and diseases in the spring is an important aspect of tree care. By checking for tree diseases in the spring, you can catch problems early and take steps to prevent further damage to your trees. If you suspect that your tree may be diseased, it’s important to consult a tree specialist for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Prune trees: Spring is a great time to prune trees, as it can help remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches, shape the tree, and promote healthy growth. Pruning in the spring can also help remove any branches that may have been damaged by winter storms or other weather events.
Fertilise: Spring is also an excellent time to fertilise your trees. Fertilising trees in spring can provide essential nutrients to support their growth and health. How to fertilise trees in spring:
1. Before applying fertiliser, it’s a good idea to test the soil to determine the nutrient levels and pH balance. You can purchase a soil testing kit or send a soil sample to a local extension service for analysis.
2. Select a slow-release, granular fertiliser designed specifically for trees. Look for a fertiliser with balanced nutrients, such as a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 blend.
3. Apply the fertiliser around the base of the tree, not too close to the trunk. Use a broadcast spreader or apply by hand, following the manufacturer’s instructions for the correct amount to use.
4. After applying the fertiliser, water the tree thoroughly to help the nutrients reach the roots. Water deeply and infrequently to encourage the roots to grow deeper into the soil.
5. Add a layer of organic mulch around the base of the tree to help retain moisture and regulate soil temperature. Avoid piling mulch against the tree trunk, as this can cause damage or encourage disease.
6. Depending on the type of fertiliser you use and the tree’s specific needs, you may need to apply fertiliser more than once during the growing season.
Plant new trees: Besides taking care of your existing trees it is a great time to plant new trees, as the weather is mild and the soil is moist, which is optimal for root growth!
Remember that healthy trees not only add value to your property but also provide many benefits, such as shade, beauty, and cleaner air. Taking care of your trees in the spring is an investment in their long-term health and vitality!
We know that some tree care tasks may require the expertise of a professional tree service specialist. Hiring a tree service specialist can ensure that the job is done safely and effectively.
Contact our professional tree service specialists to assess the health of your trees and recommend any necessary tree care services during spring time.